Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Listen up future journalists

So you wanna be a journalist, right? Whether you want to write for a newspaper, magazine or online I’m sure most of you are aspiring to be well known journalists and want to do anything you can to improve yourself. I was searching online and came across a really good blog by Paul Bradshaw for anybody that is aspiring to become a journalist. Although many things on the list seem like common sense you would be surprised at how many journalism students don’t follow these suggestions…
  • Read the news
  • Forget you have an opinion
  • Know the difference between news and features
  • Get a life
  • Don't sit around waiting for phonecalls
  • Make contacts
  • Learn how to spell
  • Be open to new experiences
  • Know what the rules are so you can break them
  • Know what you want to get out of this-and chase it

I also came up with a few suggestions of my own and if you have any other additions I would love to hear them.

  • Keep a journal
  • Engage in conversation
  • Discover the web
  • Always ask questions
  • Start a blog- We all have a good start with this one!

I think everyone will find Paul's blog not only helpful, but aspiring. Check it out and let me know what you think!

http://onlinejournalismblog.com/2007/09/25/how-to-be-a-journalism-student/

No comments: